HOW TO STEAM SHRIMP ON THE STOVE EASY AT HOME
Steam shrimp is an easy job. Many ways could be done to steam the shrimp. Everybody can steam shrimp at home. And in this chance we will share to you how to steam shrimp on the stove. Manual steaming is the best choice for you who don’t have any steamer. In few days ago we’ve shared how to steam shrimp without a steamer. Now we will give you directions to steam shrimp on the stove. Believe me, it’s easy to make steamed shrimp with stove. Traditional stovetop steaming you may try at home.
BEST WAY HOW TO STEAM SHRIMP ON THE STOVE AT HOME
To steam shrimp on the stove you’ll need some ingredients below :
- 1 lb (450 g) shrimp, still in their shells
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) ground black pepper
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice (optional)
- Ice water (optional)
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 ml) garlic powder (optional)
- Makes 2 to 4 servings
Directions to steam shrimp on the stove :
- First step is peel off the shrimp and devein. You can peel off the shell with your fingers. But to remove the dark vein you better use a sharp knif through the center of the back. And if the head and legs of shrimp are still attached, you can pull of with your fingers.
- Details : You can start peel off the shell form the outer shell. Starting from head end toward the tail. But you may choose, remove the tail or let it kept on for decoration.
- After that now cut down the center of the shrimp’s back. I prefer use a paring knife. Just make a shallow cut that is just deep enough to reveal the vein. Use the knife tip to dig the vein out.
- Bring a small water (1-2 inches/2.5-5 cm) to boil in saucepan. A large saucepan is better. And then start heating on the stove over high heat. Make sure to place a steamer rack inside of the saucepan as the water comes to a boil. Salt and lemon juice could be added to the water instead of adding it to the shrimp if desired. And if you don’t have a steamer rack, you can use a metal or wire mesh colander, instead.
- In steam shrimp on the stove, you have to make sure that the water should be below the bottom of the steamer basket. The water shouldn’t come through the steamer basket. If it happens, it called boiling shrimp, not steaming shrimp.
- Next step is place the shrimp on the steamer rack. The shrimp should be arranged in a single layer on the steamer rack. Add the garlic powder, salt, black pepper or any seasoning you want. In experience, keep the shrimp in a single layer is the best choice. Because if you have multiple layers, the shrimp may not cook quite as evenly. And if there are gaps in the bottom of the steamer rack, don’t toss the shrimp after adding seasonings. And if you used salt in the water, you better not use salt again on the shrimp.
- To steam shrimp, you have to steam until they’re opaque. The size of the shrimp will effect to the how much time needed in steaming. But if standard shrimp usually need 3 minutes, covered, once steam starts building inside the pan. But you need to place the saucepan lid when you start cook the shrimp. Only this way can build up the steam perfectly to steam the shrimp. Now wait until the steam starts to come out form the lid before you start timing. ANd check the shrimp after 2 minutes. This avoid overcooking. If done, the shrimp will curl up into the shape of the letter C. If you have jumbo shrimp need about 2 minutes more.
- Now remove the steamed shrimp to the ice water if you want to serve chilled. Remove the shrimp to the bowl of ice water using a slotted spoon. Pour the bowl of ice water and chilled shrimp through a colander to remove the water before serving.
- And if you want to serve hot, just remove the steamed shrimp to the serving dish. But remember to serve immediately. Do not refrigerate or reheat the shrimp.
That was how to steam shrimp on the stove. I think it could answer the question of making steamed shrimp with stovetop at home. I hope you can make it too. Thanks for visiting my sites, and don’t forget to connected to us because we have many recipes ideas every day for free. Happy cooking !!!